Election Soundtrack #6: Radical Patriotism

The story goes that Woody Guthrie wrote "This Land is Your Land" in response to "God Bless America," which he was sick of hearing on the radio in 1940. Guthrie's original manuscript for the tune included two final verses that are often dropped--presumably because they were a little too radical for children to sing at summer camp and on school picnics:

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
Sign was painted, it said private property;
But on the back side it didn't say nothing;
That side was made for you and me.

In the squares of the city, in the shadow of a steeple;
By the relief office, I'd seen my people.
As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,
Is this land made for you and me?

At the recommendation of a loyal reader (my wife), here's a version performed by Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. This live recording from a record store appearance isn't so great, but there's some sweet testifyin' at the end.


No comments: