Election Soundtrack #18: War Edition

Remember when everybody said that the decisive issue of this election was going to be the war in Iraq? Though the nation’s economic woes have pushed that topic out of the headlines, we’re still fighting there and still spending lots and lots of money. Time to bring 'em home.



I don't think it matters when you were born, everybody knows this song from 1970. Fans of Seinfeld will remember the episode in which Jerry convinces Elaine that "War (What is it Good For?)" was Tolstoy’s original title for "War and Peace." Until tracking down this clip, I frankly couldn’t tell you who performed it. (Had someone asked me that question, I probably would have answered, "I dunno … War?"). This video of Edwin Starr singing his biggest hit was recorded sometime in the 1980's.

No comments: